Sunday, April 19, 2009

Color + Design by POM


This Wednesday, April 22nd, is Earth Day. I recycle already, but have been trying to find ways to reuse things too. "These are the perfect shape and size!", were two things that I thought immediately upon opening the package of POM Wonderful bottles. I always need small bottles to root plants. Since they will be out in the open for display for a period of time, I want them to look nice.

In general, I also like to have containers like these to double as portable flower vases. You never know where or when you'll want to bring some flowers. So, if you buy POM's pomegranate juice, after you drink the juice, wash out the bottles and keep them to use for later.

Another way to use Pom Wonderful's juice is to naturally color frosting. I always feel a little odd using food coloring. They contain more chemicals than I even want to think about. With the arrival of Spring, I've been thinking pink. And as always cupcakes.



I could use POM's juice as a natural way to color the frosting pink and get a nice bit of extra flavor too. I used this chocolate cupcake recipe and the frosting recipe below.



POM Pink Cupcake Frosting

1 tsp. POM Wonderful pomegranate juice
1 cup powdered sugar
pinch of salt
heaping 1/8 cup Smart Balance (softened)

Combine ingredients in a medium bowl. Stir very well until smooth. Frost cupcakes. Enjoy!


Anali's First Amendment © 2006-2009. All rights reserved.

This Post's Link

4 comments:

gfe--gluten free easily said...

Beautiful, Anali! I love reusing glass containers like that. The POM ones are so cool with the tulips in them. So many bottles are too beautiful to just recycle in the typical way.

Shirley

T. said...

You are so creative! I love it!

K. said...

nice use of the pretty pom containers and I am definitely going to tint my frosting with juice now! great idea...

Lisa Johnson said...

shirley - Thank you! I'm keeping all the bottles! :)

t - Awww,thanks. :D

kirti - Maybe you'll blog it when you try it? ;)